Monday, June 15, 2015

My Passion

I am very passionate about helping other people. I feel that being in my previous school last year taught me a lot about being there for others. Some of the activities we did were not simply for a few hours but actually for weekends. I believe the word that they used for it was solidarity. Solidarity, away from its dictionary definition, is not just sympathizing with those who are less fortunate, or those who have experienced traumatic events. Solidarity causes the individual to empathize with the latter and literally put themselves in the shoes of others. Only through solidarity does one truly experience what someone who is less fortunate than themselves really feels like. I felt that though this was an extremely powerful sentiment that has stuck with me throughout the years. By lacking empathy, an individual's interaction with someone who has been through something is merely platonic. The individual may say, that they are sorry and that they have no idea what the person is going through. However, at the end of the day, that does very little to actually console the person. By experiencing solidarity, the individual can actually offer genuine solutions to help the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment